A perennial herb with a woody base, found as a naturalised garden escape on roadsides, railway banks, old walls and waste ground. Lowland.
This species was being cultivated in British gardens by 1596 and is grown for its mildly acidic leaves. It was recorded from the wild by c. 1800 (Glams.), and was apparently long naturalised at Craigmillar Castle, Edinburgh (Midlothian) and Aberdour Old Castle (Fife).
Native of C. & S. Europe, N. Africa and W. Asia.
There are no images in this gallery.
Atlas text references
Jalas & Suominen (1979)
1981. Docks and knotweeds of the British Isles. Botanical Society of the British Isles Handbook no. 3.
1965. Vergleichende Chorologie der zentraleuropäischen Flora. Volume 1. 2 vols.